Home is the fourth album by David Murray to be released on the Italian Black Saint label and the second to feature his Octet. It was released in 1982 and features performances by Murray, Henry Threadgill, Olu Dara, Lawrence "Butch" Morris, George Lewis, Anthony Davis, Wilbur Morris and Steve McCall.
- 1 Reception
- 2 Track listing
- 3 Personnel
- 4 References
The Penguin Guide to Jazz selected this album as part of its suggested Core Collection.
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 4½ stars stating "All of the brilliant players have their opportunities to make strong contributions to Murray's five originals (best known of which is "3-D Family"), and the leader's writing is consistently colorful and unpredictable. Recommended.".
|Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
Track listing Edit
- "Home" - 5:58
- "Santa Barbara and Crenshaw Follies" - 7:30
- "Choctaw Blues" - 7:20
- "Last of the Hipmen" - 9:12
- "3-D Family" - 8:35
- All compositions by David Murray
- Recorded at Right Track Recording Studios, NYC, October 31 & November 1, 1981
- David Murray - tenor saxophone, bass clarinet
- Henry Threadgill - alto saxophone, flute, alto flute
- Olu Dara - trumpet
- Lawrence "Butch" Morris - cornet
- George Lewis - trombone
- Anthony Davis - piano
- Wilber Morris - bass
- Steve McCall - drums